Shukura Babirye - Ecuador
September 25, 2017
As I am currently staying in my host family finally starting the adventure that I have waited over 160 days for, it still somehow feels surreal for me. However, I thought it would be nice to make a post on how I am able to cope with homesickness, or actual sickness to make sure that I stay true to the promises that I have given myself.
I promised myself three things:
- It's alright to feel down, but just don't let that consume you.
- Always express how you are feeling don't bottle things up because they will explode like a volcano.
- Laugh at yourself- You are not going to become fluent over night it takes time and practice so have fun with it! If you are on travel and feeling a bit over whelmed here are a few things that help me personally.
1. Yoga- This has become my mindfullness activity that I do with my sister because it allows me to focus on one thing to not allow myself to stress too much
2. MONOPOLY- This game is my family's favourite so I bought the board game to play with my family in Ecuador. It was so fun and kept my mind occupied.
3. Walks. A lot of walks. – Somtimes walking alone or with a family is a good way to calm down and realise what you are doing is awesome!
4. Friends and Family- I am so blessed to have an awesome hub where I can call anyone about anything and they will be able to talk to me (#roséallday). Also talking to friends and family abroad helps as well.
For interested students, sign up here to learn more about our programs! For educators, visit our educator form to request more information