As a follow up to my previous blog, entitled “My Year through Dosas”, I thought I’d send out my recipes for this amazing snack. There are many ways to make this dish, but I am just going to share the basic recipe and cooking instructions I have used an
• 1 cup urad dal
• 2 cups Basmati Rice
• Oil (olive, coconut, canola, etc.)
• Cheddar cheese(optional)
1. Place urad dal and rice in two separate containers and fill with water to 1 inch above rice/dal
2. Let soak a room temperature for 6-10 hours
1. Drain rice and dal while keeping separate
2. Puree both separately to achieve a smooth fluffy consistency, adding water to the dal as necessary water
3. Mix rice and dal together(
4. Cover with a towel and leave at room temperature for 6-8 hours
1. When the batter has fermented(increased volume and small bubbles), pull together the oil, butter and cheese.
2. Set skillet over medium heat.
3. Brush with about 1 tsp oil.
4. Ladle 1/4 cup batter in the center of skillet.
5. Using bottom of ladle, quickly spread batter outward in a circle.
6. Add a bit of butter(personal discretion) on top.
7. Let cook until dosa begins to brown and look dry, about 2 minutes, cooking on one side only.
8. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
9. Remove the dosa with a spatula, and the bottom should be crisp and brown.
10. Roll the dosa into a cylinder and enjoy.
You can also add onto these dosas with masala potatoes(spiced mashed potatoes), sambar (tomato vegetable broth) and coconut chutney.