Director of Marketing, Communications, and Brand
The Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand is a critical cross-functional leader on the External Affairs team. We’re looking for a strategic, innovative, and results driven individual to connect the organization’s mission with its diverse audiences. They will harness the power of storytelling, strategy, and data to enable revenue generation across all streams and lead a cohesive and integrated approach to ensure the strategic support of all teams across the organization from Programs and Alumni to Operations and Development.
The Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand will report to and partner with the Chief External Affairs Officer to build and execute a robust strategy to increase brand awareness, attract and engage mission-aligned supporters and partners, and help to amplify the organization’s impact.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
Strategic Planning and Alignment: You will work closely with organizational leaders to develop and align our marketing, communication, and brand strategy with the larger strategic goals of the organization.
Amplify the Global Citizen Year brand globally to all stakeholders: You will collaborate with team members to establish and maximize a consistent Global Citizen Year brand externally through storytelling, campaigns, thought leadership, and partnerships.
- Maximize digital presence and reach through websites, social media, email campaigns, and more.
- Stakeholder Engagement: oversee and streamline stakeholder communications, ensuring clarity, consistency, and effectiveness.
- Partner and Media Relations: build and maintain relationships with media houses, influencers, and other partners to amplify Global Citizen Year’s reach and message.
Fundraising and Resource Mobilization: You will develop and execute an impactful marketing, communication, and brand strategy that will significantly bolster fundraising and campaign efforts that contribute significantly to the organization’s financial sustainability.
- Grants Strategy & Content: strategize, develop, and deploy content and copy to create proposals, reports, and touchpoints for cross-stream revenue partners (e.g. foundations, corporations). Develop and manage content libraries for donor-facing materials.
- Annual Giving: conceptualize, develop, benchmark, and deliver donor-facing appeals and campaigns.
- Donor Stewardship: develop donor stewardship strategies and content to engage current donors and support year-over-year giving as well as gift increases.
Build, develop, and retain a strong Marketing, Communications & Brand Team:
- Provide your team with clear expectations, accountability, kudos, and understanding on how their work is connected to our mission.
- Foster a values-based team culture that thrives on trust, learning, iteration, collaboration, and results.
- Coach and support your team to develop the skills and expertise needed for its marketing, communications, and brand endeavors.
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
We are looking for more than just hard skills; we want teammates who will add value to our organizational culture by bringing these mindsets to their work:
- Strategic Thinker: You anticipate and prepare for future events and outcomes. You are able to develop future plans to leverage resources effectively.
- Storyteller: You understand that stories drive meaningful, lasting change, and seek to create and share compelling, accessible stories that engage diverse audiences.
- Analytical and Creative: You combine analysis with innovation, and love diving into data to surface key insights, then using those to improve results, innovate, and optimize performance.
- Collaborative: You know the best ideas & results are developed in collaboration with others—you thrive on cultivating high functioning teams where the sum exceeds the parts.
- Persuasive: You are able to clearly communicate plans, ideas, projects and goals to get buy-in and motivate people on your team, and external stakeholders.
- Results-Driven: You are able to stretch to accomplish goals, maintain a focus on outcomes rather than activities, and hold yourself and your team accountable for results.
- Connected to our mission: Something in your own life experience drives your passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and vision.
The following skills are required:
- Fundraising Support: 3-5 years experience in providing marketing and communications support to fundraising efforts, understanding the unique requirements of this area. Including but not limited to grants, strategy & content, annual appeals and campaigns, donor stewardship strategies and content.
- 7-10 years of experience in marketing, communications, and brand management, with a proven track record of success.
- Digital Marketing Expertise: proficient in digital marketing strategies, including SEO, social media, email marketing, content marketing, and analytics.
- Stakeholder Management: ability to work with and manage relationships with various internal and external stakeholders, including media, partners, and vendors.
- Cultural Competency: ability to work effectively in diverse environments, with a deep understanding and respect for different cultures and perspectives.
- Team leadership: prior experience in a leadership role, managing teams, mentoring and skill-building, and developing effective team management and work advancement strategies.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and in similar marketing and communications strategy and revenue enablement roles.
Bonus points if you have:
- A bachelor degree in marketing, communications, language arts, or a related field can be beneficial, and we equally value diverse educational paths and equivalent professional experience.
- Prior experience working across organizational functions and teams to develop content and communications initiatives that drive revenue.
- Prior experience working within systems change organizations.
Location: Global Citizen Year’s team is fully remote and we accept applications from anywhere in the United States and we are focusing our search on California, Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, and Texas.
Start date: The priority deadline for this application is November 17, 2023; ideal start date is January 8, 2023
Compensation: The salary range for this role is $106,000-$130,000. We are proud to provide a total compensation package that puts the person first, and can discuss in more detail once a candidate has applied. You can learn more about our benefits here.
Application process: Submit a written application using the link below. After submitting an application, our process includes the following potential next steps: a screening interview, interview with our VP, People & Operations, a submission of a work sample, a hiring manager interview, and an interview with a member(s) of the Senior Leadership Team.
You can learn more about the position, what a day in the life will look like, and more about Global Citizen Year by clicking the “Position Details” link below.
These are the teammates you’ll be collaborating and engaging with most often
Chief External Affairs Officer
Associate Director, Creative