Media & Admissions Intern
The Admissions & Media Intern will work alongside the Content Manager and the Admissions Manager to grow Global Citizen Year’s social media presence, develop content creation systems, and prepare for the upcoming admissions cycle. Through the media projects, the intern will help develop content and systems to effectively share Global Citizen Year’s story and inspire future Fellows to apply. Through the admissions projects, the intern will help improve the systems and materials we use to select and support Fellows. The Media & Admissions Intern will gain exposure to a wide variety of projects with opportunities to develop a diverse set of skills including social media management, curriculum development, creating systems to organize content, analyzing data for trends, and writing/designing admissions materials.
We are looking for a multi-faceted applicant who is able to brainstorm creative ideas and also develop the systems to bring these ideas to life.
Media Management (50%):
- Maintain and grow Global Citizen Year’s social media presence
- Create engaging daily posts for Global Citizen Year’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts
- Develop social media campaigns to increase engagement and followers and to build awareness
- Help develop the Media Fellowship curriculum. The Media Fellowship is a track for a select number of Fellows to create content (written, video, photo, etc.) throughout the year to help share the Global Citizen Year story with future applicants.
- Develop syllabus of storytelling projects for Media Fellows to complete over the course of their bridge year.
- Set up efficient systems for checking in with Media Fellows and keeping them on track throughout the year
- Help lead Media Fellow selection process and training at Pre-Departure Training
- Establish a searchable database to organize strong Fellow blogs
- Establish a searchable database to organize articles about the bridge year movement
- Design new materials (such as alumni profiles, FAQs, etc) for inclusion in the Acceptances Packets and with the goal of increasing conversion
- Develop materials to send to committed Fellows to help them spread awareness about Global Citizen Year at their school
- Analyze applicant data from 2017 cycle to help identify trends and improve our admissions process for 2018.
- Determine the effectiveness of the written application by comparing written application scores to interview scores
- Review survey results for committed applicants and applicants who declined acceptance
- Update Admissions materials
- College Deferral Guide
- Tailored FAQs for students who have questions about college deferral, parent hesitations, etc.
- Prepare information about 2017 Fellows for program use – e.g. Fellow Profiles, rosters, etc.
- Develop two pilot projects for an “anchoring moment” to help accepted Fellows feel like they are part of a larger cohort as soon as they are accepted
- Update Selection Team training and materials as necessary
- Assist in developing Medical Clearance guide
- Assist with updates to the application system for 2018 cycle
- Demonstrated passion for the mission of Global Citizen Year
- Initiative, entrepreneurial spirit, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Attention to detail & analytical thinker
- Ability to create a structured approach to a problem
- Knack for social media and/or design
- Strong writer
Compensation: A stipend of $3500 for the duration of the internship (dates below)
Time Commitment: 40 hours/week
Location: Oakland Office – 1625 Clay St. Suite 400 Oakland CA
Time Frame: June 1st – Aug 26th (flexible for alums on quarter scheduling or who have earlier college move-in requirements).
If finances are preventing you from taking advantage of this opportunity – please reach out to Emmy directly (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are committed to ensuring all our Alums have equal access to these internship opportunities.
To apply: Apply online with your resume and cover letter
Deadline: Applications reviewed as they arrive. Preference given to those who submit by Feb 15
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer, and we strive for our staff to reflect the diverse community we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.