Introducing Diego Calle

Diego Calle works in the government offices of Sigsig. He is also one of the supervisors for my project, and will be putting the stories and photos of my interviewees in a gallery to hang in Sigsig. 


My father immigrated to the United States when I was 9 years old. He moved to New Haven, where he has lived since. He left me in Sigsig with my mother and younger brother, who was 2 when he left. My mother didn’t go with him to the United States, but 3 years ago she was able to visit him in the US with a tourist visa. This was the first time she had seen her husband in 17 years.

I saw my father for the first time after 16 years, one year before my mother saw him. I was 25 years old. I remember it was very emotional, seeing him for the first time after all those years. In the years that we were apart, we would always talk through the phone, 4 or 5 times a week. Later with the improved technology, we would do video conferences. Despite not having seen each other, we always had a very good relationship, so our reunion wasn’t difficult, just extremely emotional. Since then I’ve gone to visit him 3 times, with a tourist visa of my own.

My father went as an undocumented immigrant to the US, this is why he never returned to visit. He used the visa of another person, that he bought in Mexico, for $16,000. Now he says he feels more like an American than an Ecuadorian, and likes his life a lot there. He lives in a peaceful city, New Haven, and has worked in a restaurant called Ocean View for 21 years. He was able to support his children from there, even bought us a house with the money he earned, and this was his motivation for going.


Mi padre emigró a Estados Unidos cuando yo tenía 9 años. El siempre ha vivido en New Haven,Connecticut. Yo me quede con mi mama y mi hermano, quien tenía 2 años. Mi madre no se fue con él, pero hace 3 años ella podía ir a visitarlo por la primera vez en 17 años. Ella se fue porque podía conseguir un visa de turista.

Yo vi a mi padre por primera vez, a los 16 años, uno año antes que mi madre se fue. Tenía 25 años. Me recuerdo que era una reunión muy emocionante, porque en los años que estábamos lejos, siempre conversabamos. Antes había solo telefóno de casa, hablábamos como 4 o 5 veces por semana. Luego, ya con la tecnología, hicimos videoconferencias, y mensajes. Siempre estábamos en contacto, teníamos una muy buena relación, entonces no fue difícil, a reencontrarnos, pero sí fue muy emocionante. Desde entonces, he ido a visitarlo 3 veces, con mi propia visa.

Había una forma de viaje, se lo hacía con visa de un otro persona que se lo compraba en México. Mi padre lo consiguió a un costo de $16,000. Ahora el se siente más como un americano que un ecuatoriano. Le gusta mucho vivir alla, porque vive en un lugar tranquilo y ha trabajado en un restaurante por 21 años, se llama Ocean View. El ha sido nuestro sustento para nuestra  familia, nos ayudó a comprar nuestra casa.

There are no comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *