Global Citizen Year proudly selects exceptional young leaders, independent of financial circumstances, and helps them develop the insights, skills, and networks for a lifetime of positive impact.
Tuition for Take Action Lab is $21,000 USD.
We expect students will also need to budget an additional $7,000 USD for out-of-pocket expenses.
We don’t believe in hidden costs, and have aimed to provide a thorough and transparent breakdown of tuition and expenses.
Trainings & Cultural Activities
- Virtual training prior to departure: During the 4 weeks before departure, students take part in a foundational training to learn about personal leadership development, community development and the historical and social context in South Africa.
- Orientation: Upon arrival in Cape Town, students receive a thorough week-long training to equip them with the cultural and risk-management skills to deeply and safely immerse.
- Cultural activities & excursions twice a week: Global Citizen Year hosts cultural activities or excursions each week, providing experiential opportunities to deepen students’ understanding of South Africa.
- Closing training: During their last week in Cape Town, students will take part in closing sessions to integrate their new perspectives into their own values and sense of purpose going forward.
Airport transfers on arrival and departure
Our team will meet you at the airport at arrival. On both arrival and departure days, we’ll arrange transportation to/from the airport.
Housing in Cape Town
Global Citizen Year provides several houses where students live together during their 3 months in Cape Town. Houses are fully furnished and include shared common spaces, bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and laundry facilities. Each student has their own private bedroom with a bed, desk, and storage. Wifi, water, electricity, and cleaning fees are included.
Apprenticeship matching & support
Our team has cultivated a strong network of outstanding apprenticeship placements in Cape Town. Each student is thoughtfully matched with an organization advancing human rights, and will get hands-on experience working with them through a structured apprenticeship.
Local support team
Our local team of trained, youth development professionals live in Cape Town and support students throughout their time abroad. In case of health or safety incidents, they are close by and available for immediate support.
ESTIMATED OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES
We expect students will also need to budget $7,000 USD for out-of-pocket expenses not included in tuition. This is an estimate, and exact costs may be more or less depending on personal spending habits and circumstances (i.e. distance from home to Cape Town, whether the student has a passport, etc).
Pre-Travel Expenses (estimated ~$2,000)
- Vaccinations costs and fees*
- Costs associated with retrieving health history forms or possible supplemental forms (if applicable)*
- Technology required for program*
- Roundtrip flight to Cape Town, South Africa
- Passport & visa fees*
- Travel & medical insurance
*Financial Aid Offers do not include these costs
In-Country Expenses (estimated ~$5,000)
- Cellphone & mobile data (SIM card is provided)
- Food & groceries for all meals (outside of orientation and learning activities)
- Local transportation, including daily commute to your apprenticeship
- Personal spending money