VP of Finance and Operations
As the VP of Finance and Operations you will have the opportunity to design and implement the strategy and systems needed to support Global Citizen Year’s growth over the next 5 to 10 years. Reporting to the CEO and as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will build and manage effective and streamlined administrative and financial systems, including financial, accounting, legal, information technology (IT), and physical infrastructure. You will operate as the main interface between the Senior Leadership Team, Board Finance Committee and department budget leads, setting our finance strategy and maintaining our financial and operational health.
In this exciting phase of the organization’s growth, you’ll be a part of innovating and problem solving alongside your Senior Leadership Team peers as we navigate the opportunities and challenges that come with launching new programs, growing our team, and continuing to learn and iterate from our 10+ years of experience.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
Budgeting & Accounting: steward the financial health of the organization, ensuring visibility of our forecast and financial picture across all stakeholders.
- Lead the finance team, providing management, direction, and oversight to our Bookkeeper and Finance Special Projects Manager.
- Innovate and improve on our accounting set-up, budget model and allocation methodology to best capture our financial picture, enabling more informed decision making.
- Lead our annual budget process, working alongside the CEO, Chief of Staff, and department leads, to set the strategy and build an ambitious and efficient budget for each fiscal year.
- Work with department leads to ensure accurate forecasting and budget management throughout the year.
- Lead creation and review of monthly and quarterly financial management reports and metrics with an eye out for continuous improvement. Own subsequent reporting to the Board and internal stakeholders.
Board & Investment Stewardship: lead the financial strategy work at the Board level, establishing relationships and supporting the leadership and management of our Board of Directors.
- Lead the development of our financial and investment strategies and partner with the CEO to steward these alongside our Board of Directors.
- Lead quarterly finance committee meetings and deliver budget updates at quarterly Board of Directors meetings.
- Develop strategy for investment of the organization’s assets for approval by the Board.
- Manage the annual audit in collaboration with the Audit Committee.
Thought Leadership & Long Range Planning: set the strategies and frameworks through which we forecast and plan for the future, and own the development of systems and tools through which we accomplish this.
- Provide creative, agile, and strategic thought leadership for how we think about our business model, revenue streams, and the best ways to represent these to different stakeholders.
- Apply creative thinking with strong financial acumen to create dynamic multi-year forecasting and financial analysis tools for the organization to support decision making.
- Create financial analysis materials and talking points to use in donor meetings and steward our most financially savvy donors. Partner with the CEO when necessary to present our business model and financial strategy to external and internal stakeholders.
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team to determine the best structure for finance and operations for the organization now and in the future.
Administrative Operations Leadership: lead our administrative operations strategy, setting us up for efficient growth and global expansion.
- Establish an efficient and effective operations strategy, ensuring we have the infrastructure in place to grow our team, our programmatic impact, and the number of countries we operate in.
- Lead our technology team, providing direction and oversight to our Director of Technology and our Technology Manager. Support the creation of the team’s strategy and lead large org wide technology project decisions. Support technology needs assessments based on growth and ROI of tech solutions.
- Develop the organization’s legal and contracts strategy and implement systems to manage our partnerships and contracts with an eye for growth and expansion.
- Develop a strategy and the accompanying systems and policies required to manage the organization’s physical infrastructure in a global operation with a distributed team.
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
We are looking for more than just hard skills; we want teammates who will add value to our organizational culture by bringing these mindsets to their work:
- Analytical: Draws conclusions from data in a logical, systematic way.
- Information Seeker: Investigates thoroughly to get relevant information.
- Judgment: Forms sound opinions and makes solid decisions.
- Strategic Thinker: Anticipates and prepares for future events and outcomes.
- Ambitious: Aspires to and works toward a high level of success.
- Customer-oriented: Attentive and responsive to customer needs.
- Resourceful: Finds alternative solutions to overcome problems or limitations.
- Results-driven: Focuses on achieving results that promote business success.
- Collaborative: Partners with others to realize better results.
- Diplomatic: Deals tactfully with diverse groups of people, situations and ideas.
- Ethical: Guided by a set of core values and beliefs to act with integrity and honesty.
- Connected to our mission: Something in your own life experience drives your passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and vision.
The following skills are required:
- Significant experience in financial leadership (10-15 years in relevant roles), including managing the finance and administration of a high-growth $5-15 million organization (preferably a nonprofit organization). Experience should include:
- Legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development
- Board stewardship and relationship management
- Team leadership experience
- Strong Communication
- Able to communicate financial information effectively to a diverse group of stakeholders including board, donors, and staff
- Experience with administrative operations:
- Experience working in a global or multi-state organization and building systems that support regional growth
- Technologically savvy, with an ability to point to examples of having worked with IT staff to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment
Take our Finance and Operations systems and processes to the next level. Help us be confident in our financial picture and strategy for our upcoming exponential growth, allowing us to reach many more students as we scale.
Location: Global Citizen Year is a fully remote organization and accepts applications from anywhere in the world.
Start date: The priority deadline for this application is July 1, 2022; ideal start date is September 5, 2022.
Compensation: The salary range for this role is $150,000-$170,000. We are proud to provide a total compensation package that puts the person first, and can discuss in more detail once a candidate has applied. You can learn more about our benefits here.
Application process: Submit a written application using the link below. After submitting an application, if you are moved forward, our process includes the following potential next steps: a screening interview, a candidate exercise, a team member interview, and an interview with a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer. We know a diverse team produces the best results and we believe our team should reflect the diversity of leadership we aim to inspire. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
These are the teammates you’ll be collaborating and engaging with most often
Elikem Tomety Archer
Chief Program Officer
Vice President of People & Operations
Chief of Staff to the CEO