Program Coordinator, Take Action Lab
As part of the team in Cape Town, the Program Coordinator helps bring to life the Take Action Lab program for our students. They will play a key role in creating a positive student experience by facilitating curricular and extracurricular activities, supporting student wellbeing and learning, and leading administrative tasks for student onboarding, program management and record keeping. A mostly student-facing position, the Program Coordinator will play a central role in creating a unique, life-changing experience for our students.
We are looking for someone who is energized and enthusiastic about youth leadership development, has a knack for system building, and can navigate dynamic, new environments.
This role reports to the Experiential Learning Manager and works closely with another Program Coordinator on the Take Action Lab team. They must be based in Cape Town, South Africa.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
Co-create the Take Action Lab experience: Design and facilitate a unique immersion experience anchored in our principles of experiential learning
- Support the design of transformative experiential learning activities in line with TAL’s theme and curriculum goals
- Participate in building TAL’s training modules & ensure students’ adoption
- Guide and facilitate group learning activities around the Cape Town area
- Prepare and execute an orientation and re-entry program for participants
- Prepare and maintain orientation and onboarding materials
Support the wellbeing and development of inspiring young leaders: Work directly with the students to guide and facilitate their immersion learning experience in Cape Town
- Support community engagement strategy and activities during the virtual and immersive segments of the program; Foster a safe and productive learning environment; Guide the cohort community-building experience
- Act as a mentor and cultural broker for the students during the pre-departure and immersion experience
- Support students’ wellbeing as part of the team responding to behavioral, health, and safety incidents
- Monitor student engagement and surface issues for problem-solving
Build local partnerships: Develop good working relationships with program partners
- Liaise with local partners to ensure logistics run smoothly
- Support the delivery of partner training, monitoring and evaluation
- Identify and liaise with local partners and activities that can contribute to students’ learning objectives
- Facilitate program closing events with local partners; Celebrate and acknowledge partner contributions to the program and the students’ experience
Keep program stakeholders organized and informed: Lead administrative tasks for student onboarding and offboarding and regular reporting
- Serve as the first “customer service” point of contact for students seeking support; Support student and family communications strategy throughout the program, including but not limited to responding to inquiries, drafting and editing resources, managing the student Hub and family Hub
- Support the development and maintenance of systems for organizing local activities and students’ information
- Analyze data to track depth of student engagement, pattern spot and surface learnings
- Manage materials and logistics for program events, in collaboration with partners
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
We are looking for more than just hard skills; we want teammates who will add value to our organizational culture by bringing these mindsets to their work:
- Connected to our mission: Something in your own life experience drives your passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and vision.
- Information seeker: You investigate thoroughly to get relevant information.
- Detail oriented: You show rigorous and meticulous attention to detail.
- Empathetic: You identify with the feelings, ideas and attitudes of others.
- Personable: You have a friendly, approachable and outgoing style.
- Adaptable: You adjust easily to new or changing circumstances.
- Team Player: You work well within diverse groups to achieve common goals.
- Student-Oriented: You are attentive and responsive to student needs.
- Initiative: You act proactively to achieve results.
- Resourceful: You find alternative solutions to overcome problems or limitations.
The following skills are required:
- Experience facilitating and/or designing learning experiences for youth (aged 17-21)
- Experience working or living with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Familiar with Cape Town’s social impact sector
- Legally able to live and work in South Africa full time
- Comfortable using and learning new technology; Enjoy finding new ways to use technology for greater impact
- Effective communicator: written, verbal and Google slide presentations
- All routine immunizations and vaccinations, including COVID-19, must be complete and up to date according to WHO guidelines
Bonus points if have/are:
- Basic First Aid Training
- Proficiency with Airtable, Salesforce, MS Office, Google Suite
- Bilingual or multilingual familiarity with Afrikaans and Xhosa
- A US Visa (for occasional travel to the USA)
Bring your youth development experience and knowledge of Cape Town and South Africa to make your mark on a life-changing youth learning program for a global cohort of curious and inspired students.
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Start date: The priority deadline for this application is 19 May, 2023; ideal start date is 10 July, 2023.
Compensation: The annual salary range for this role is 274,000- 365,000 ZAR. We are proud to provide a total compensation package that puts the person first, and can discuss in more detail once a candidate has applied. Some of our benefits include:
- Paid vacation
- Reimbursement for health insurance premiums
- 3% match on retirement funds
- A one-month paid sabbatical after 3 years of continued employment
- Paid family & bereavement leave
- Annual professional & personal development stipend
For more information, including Frequently Asked Questions & information about Global Citizen Year, please click “Positions Details” below.
These are the teammates you’ll be collaborating and engaging with most often
Senior Program Manager
Experiential Learning Manager
Program Associate, Take Action Lab
Ready to take the next step?
Learn more about the role, the team, and our organization by reviewing the position details below.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer. We know a diverse team produces the best results and we believe our team should reflect the diversity of leadership we aim to inspire. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.