Final Clearance Instructions
Congrats on being accepted to Global Citizen Year Academy! To ensure that every student is set up for success, we have some final clearance requirements. This step helps ensure that each student can fully engage with the program.
The steps below will walk you through selecting class times, checking tech readiness, and assessing language level. You will enter your answers through the two forms linked in your in your email.
DUE JAN 31: SELECT YOUR COURSE TIMES
Step 1: Pick a time for your Leadership As A Practice seminar
Pick the time for your Leadership as a Practice seminar that works best for you. The seminar will meet every week on Monday for 90 minutes.
- Once you have registered for a time, put it in your calendar and do not schedule any other commitments that conflict with that time.
- Class time changes may only be requested on an exceptional basis through Wednesday, February 24. Your ability to change to another time will be based on availability, and we cannot guarantee that you’ll be able to move to the time you want or need.
- After classes have started, class time changes will not be allowed.
Be sure you understand when the class takes place in your local time zone.
- All times are listed in UTC (also known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)), and in 24-hour format.
- Please use the Time Zone Converter link (see table column “Convert to My Time Zone”) to convert to your local time.
- Make sure you note if the time of the class will take place on the previous or next day in your local timezone. For example: a Monday 01:00 UTC class takes place on Sunday evening in the Americas, while a Monday 22:00 UTC class takes place on Tuesday morning in eastern Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.
Don’t forget about Daylight Saving Time!
- If you live in a region that observes Daylight Saving Time (DST or “Summer Time”), make sure you know the dates in 2021 when DST will start/end.
- Because UTC time does not change for DST, if you live in a region that observes DST, your class time will move when DST starts/ends:
- If DST starts during the semester (northern hemisphere), your class times will move 1 hour later
- If DST ends during the semester (southern hemisphere), your class times will move 1 hour earlier
- Be sure to take this into consideration when selecting your class times.
- If you live in a region that does not observe DST, lucky you! Your class times will not change during the semester.
Review the seminar times in the chart below. Once you’ve chosen your seminar time, go back to your email and click the Submit Course Times button to send us your chosen times.
Step 2: Pick a time for your Leadership Learning Group
Pick the Leadership Learning Group Time that works best for you. Learning Groups will meet every week on Wednesday and Thursday for 60 minutes.
You must attend both sessions every week, so be sure to pick a time that you can attend on both Wednesday and Thursday.
Remember to convert to your time zone and consider day light savings, just like you did above for your seminar.
Review the available times below. Once you’ve chosen your learning group time, visit your email and click the Submit Course Times button to send us your chosen times.
DUE FEB 22: CLEARANCE CHECKS
Step 3: Tech Readiness
Academy coursework will take place on Minerva’s Forum platform. In order to have a smooth experience, students must have headphones and use a computer that has a working camera and meets the Minimum System Requirements. Forum does not run on iOS or Android, so you cannot use a phone or tablet to access Forum.
To assess your tech readiness, you’ll run three tests on your computer and take screenshots to record your results. After each test, go back to the email you received, click the Submit Clearance Form button and enter your results.
1. Run the Geekbench 5 test to get your computer processor’s multi-core score.
- Before starting, re-start your computer and close all other windows and apps in order to get the most accurate results.
- Download and run the test.
- You do not need to purchase anything to run the test. Click “Later” when prompted for a license to proceed with the test.
- Take a screenshot of your multi-core score.
- Go to the Clearance Requirements Form (linked in your email) to upload the screenshot and type in your multi-core score.
2. Find how much RAM (memory) is installed on your computer.
- This will be a number between 4 and 32 GB.
- On a Mac: Click on the Apple menu > Click on “About this Mac” > RAM is listed next to Memory.
- On a PC using Windows 10: Click in the Start menu search bar > Type “About” > Click “About this PC” > Scroll down to “Device Specifications” and look for “Installed RAM”
- Go to the Clearance Rquirements Form (linked in your email) and type in your amount of RAM. (no screenshot needed for this one)
3. Run an Internet speed test from the location where you plan to take your Academy classes.
- This will assess how strong your internet connection is in that spot.
- Run speedtest.net
- Take a screenshot of your results.
- Go to the Clearance Requirements Form (linked in your email) to upload your screenshot and type in the numbers of your Download Mbps and Upload Mbps.
Step 4: Language Assessment
Applicants who are not native/fluent English speakers are asked to complete a 15-minute language proficiency test.
This brief proficiency test will help us verify your readiness to engage with the Academy program instruction in English.
We use the CEFR scale to help us determine your English proficiency and readiness to participate in the Academy. The optimal CEFR range for applicants to score at is Level B2 or higher.
CEFR defines Level B2 as: Generally, you have an effective command of the language. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations. Issues you might encounter: it is likely that there will be some inaccuracies of the English language, which can lead to misunderstandings, especially under (time) pressure.
- The assessment is timed and you will only be able to take it once, so be ready to go when you start.
- Complete the Language Assessment here.
- When you’re finished, take a screenshot of your results page. (You can view an example screenshot of results here.)
- Click on the Submit Clearance Form button (linked in your email) to upload your screenshot and type in your scores for overall, reading, and listening.